February 11, 2013

Butter and Such

It's been a while since I have updated this blog! Just a quick update today however. There are a few things I wanted to share that are Lactose free. Most cheeses are. Now I can have dairy products, just not the sugars, a.k.a lactose. So cheeses are now back on the menu. I buy the lactose free milk and ice cream. Trader Joe's coconut milk ice cream is also very good. Now as for butter...I only use Smart Butter with flax seed oil. It is completely dairy free, vegan, and lactose free. It has a wonderful flavor and I have no problem cooking with it. Another thing that may surprise you has having no lactose is heavy whipping cream. I was really missing whipped toppings and found out that whipping cream has no sugar! You have to add it when making topping! I also found out that there is a gadget out there that you can add whipping cream and shake it and it makes whipped topping! Just like the canned stuff! I am waiting to order one of those bad boys! It's not terribly hard to make whipped topping using a stand mixer! All you need to do is chill the bowl and whisk for about 10-20 min. Add the cream and begin to mix. Slowly add sugar until it's sweet enough and add a splash of vanilla. Most cartons of whipping cream will tell you this basic recipe! I will be posting some yummy lactose free recipes here soon, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment